An Invisible Danger
During the first few months of 1998, several cases of carbon monoxide poisoning have made the news. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills more people annually in the United States than any other poisoning.
Carbon monoxide can come from coal, oil or wood stoves and ovens, kerosene or propane heaters and furnaces, water heaters, automobiles, construction tools, gasoline generators and fire. Poisoning can occur when gas ovens or grills are improperly used as room heaters.
Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of colds or flu. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, vomiting and irritability. Too much exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to confusion, fainting, convulsions and even death.
If you think you or a loved one are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s extremely important to receive medical attention immediately. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is used to treat cases of severe carbon monoxide poisoning.
The University Hospital, a member of the Health Alliance, provides hyperbaric oxygen therapy for severe carbon monoxide poisoning at The Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, the only facility of its kind. The center will work closely with your doctor or surgeon to shorten your hospital stay, lower your costs and improve your quality of life.
Healthy Living Article List
|For Women||For Seniors||Fighting Cancer||Your Heart||Emergency 101|
|Work Smart||Bones, Muscles and Joints||Nutrition News||Advice From Our Docs|