Breastfeeding – and Breastfeeding Help
Breastfeeding does more than simply fulfill the nutritional needs of your baby, it can be a satisfying and rewarding experience for you both. While breast milk and commercial formulas are both nutritionally sound, there are many advantages to breastfeeding your baby. Some of these advantages are:
- Breastfeeding is convenient because milk is always available. It eliminates the need for night time feeding preparation and your supplies are always with you.
- Breast milk is best for your baby. It has the exact nutrients for your baby, including many antibodies which lower the baby’s risk of allergies and illness.
- Breast milk is easily digested. Your baby is less likely to have constipation or diarrhea.
- Breastfeeding is good for the mother. Breastfeeding helps you lose the weight you gained during pregnancy. It may also decrease your risk of developing premenopausal breast cancer, ovarian cancer or osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding enhances the bond between a mother and her baby.
When beginning to breastfeed, it’s not unusual to have a few problems. You may worry about the baby getting enough milk or how you will return to work and continue to breastfeed. The Health Alliance provides breastfeeding counseling to mothers. “We provide answers to the mothers questions and support if they are having more serious problems breastfeeding,” says Christian B., RNC, lactation consultant at The University Hospital.
The Health Alliance also offers prenatal breastfeeding classes that teach all essentials you will need to know to effectively breastfeed your baby. “With the Breastfeeding Education and Resource Center, we help mothers get off to a good start,” Auer says.
If you have any concerns, ask a lactation consultant — an expert trained to help solve breastfeeding problems — to help you with any problems that may arise. This is a special time for you and your baby. Breastfeeding helps develop a closeness that you will always treasure.
SOURCE: La Leche League International
Healthy Living Article List
|For Women||For Seniors||Fighting Cancer||Your Heart||Emergency 101|
|Work Smart||Bones, Muscles and Joints||Nutrition News||Advice From Our Docs|