Helpful Holiday Hints
For people on a weight control program, the holidays can be a particularly trying time. Here are some hints from Alliance Women’s Health to help you get successfully through the food fests for which the holidays are famous.
Remember to plan your time and activities thoughtfully and carefully throughout the holidays. Control your situations, don’t let them control you.
At holiday gatherings and parties, use these party rules:
- Eat before you go. Have a low calorie snack or nutritional supplement before you leave to take the edge off your hunger.
- Talk to everyone there! Indulge in conversation, not food!
- Avoid alcohol. Hold a drink such as mineral water or diet soda.
- Sit far away from the food table–this helps relieve the tension.
- Answer insistent hostesses by complimenting the food and the table, and assuredly stating that you are pleased to be at the party, but need to continue to be successful with your weight program. More often than not, they will envy you.
- Plan ahead for interesting topics of conversation. Read a good book. Catch up on current events. Take pictures along to show.
- Do not emphasize the issue about not eating. Be positive about your program and your success.
- Spend as little time in the kitchen as possible and when you do, keep low calorie snacks or a nutritional supplement handy.
- Getting enough rest during the holidays is very important. It is easy to overeat if you are tired or do not take time to follow your activity plan.
- Keep a telephone list handy and call someone to give you support during tempting times.
- Keep up your exercise program! Exercise helps you feel good about your body and helps control your hunger.
- Wear a flattering outfit to a holiday event instead of one with an elastic waist which allows you to eat larger quantities of food.
If you follow these holiday tips and remain positive, your holidays will be joyful and your New Year’s resolutions may not have to focus so strongly on losing weight. Happy Holidays from Alliance Women’s Health.
Healthy Living Article List
|For Women||For Seniors||Fighting Cancer||Your Heart||Emergency 101|
|Work Smart||Bones, Muscles and Joints||Nutrition News||Advice From Our Docs|