The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department of The Fort Hamilton Hospital provides a comprehensive, integrated approach to serving the rehabilitation needs of County and surrounding communities. Under the direction of a physician, all services are provided under the direction of a physician by experienced physical, occupational, speech and recreational therapy, licensed professionals. We provide outpatient and inpatient services at the hospital including a 12-bed rehabilitation center. For your convenience, adult and child outpatient services are also offered at the Center for Health and Wellness located in the East County YMCA.
The Fort Hamilton Hospital has expanded its inpatient rehab unit again and now has 12 private room beds available for patients needing intensive rehabilitation services. The inpatient rehabilitation unit offers concentrated physical, occupational, speech and recreational therapy programs individually designed to meet each patient’s specific needs. Individuals involved in the rehabilitation program may have diagnoses including, but not limited to, joint replacement, arthritis, stroke, amputation, spinal injury and hip fracture.
Over the past year, seventy-eight percent of the patients have recovered sufficiently during their stay to be discharged to their home rather than to a skilled nursing facility. Also, the unit’s length of stay in three of the most common rehab diagnoses (stroke, fracture of lower extremity and joint replacement) is shorter than comparable national programs.
We have just successfully completed our first full year of outpatient rehabilitative service in this new facility. This outpatient program is in partnership with The East Butler County YMCA facility. Services include comprehensive physical therapy for the adult population and physical and occupational therapies for neonatal, pediatric and adolescent population. Treatment approaches may include the use of a warm water pool.
Adult services include:
- Physical Therapy to treat orthopedic, cardiac, neurological injuries, wound care management, post surgical conditions and sports medicine injuries
- Occupational Therapy to treat orthopedic, hand, cardiac, neurological injuries and post surgical conditions
- Speech-Language Therapy to treat for cases of Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties), Dysarthria (sound production), communication disorders, cognitive rehabilitation, laryngectomy, head injury, problem solving abilities.
Pediatric services available include:
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- speech-language pathology
- free multidisciplinary screenings
- neurodevelopmental approach
- sensory integrative approach
- adaptive equipment loan library
- home programming; parent/caregiver education
These therapies are used to treat a wide range of disorders including: developmental delays, neurological impairment, articulation/language disorders, oral motor/swallowing dysfunction and sensory integrative disorders.